Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, April 19, 2010

My stomach is really Small

So. I´m in Chile. We got to Viña around noonish? Viña is a BEAUTIFUL city. Holy cow. It´s awesome. We had to do this activity where we had to find our way to the mission home, it was pretty cool. Then we had a little Devotional thing, interviews and such, had some empanadas, and then we got to meet our trainers. Except guess what...mine wasn´t there. Because my area is like 5 hours north of Viña del Mar. So then, I hung out in the Office with the office elders until like 8 pm and then got on a bus with two other elders being transferred and got into Ovalle, Chile at1:45ish in the morning where I met companion. His name is Elder Birchall from the Modesto, CA area- Hughson i think is the name of the town. He´s pretty cool, he´s been out about ten months and I´m already his second son (meaning I´m the second the Elder he has trained). Anyway, I finally got to sleep in an actual bed around 2:30 am. Then wednesday we got to work. Holy cow I was tired, but I survived. The rama, or branch I´m in is called Canihuante in the city of Ovalle. It´s inland and about an hour or so south of La Serena.

Everything is pretty good. Spanish is well....spanish. It´ll come. The branch is really nice. We have three baptisms set saturday (we were going to have four, but we had to move one to may 1st). I´m pretty excited. There´s Juan Pablo who is blind and is 26, and then Alyson is 12 her sister Poala is 13. They are all really cool and I´m excited for saturday, I´m praying that everything works out.

Ok, so the title- Honestly, the food isn´t bad. I have yet to eat anything too weird. Lots of lentels, potatoes, meat, and rice. The problem is that here in Chile they have Almuerzo (lunch) at around two. This is the huge grand meal of the day. In fact, its like the only meal of the day. So, THEY EAT TONS. Holy cow, it´s so bad how little I can eat compared to others. Like, I´ve finished everything only twice. My companion is really funny about it and kind of makes it a joke and explains to the people how my stomach is really small and how I can´t eat that much. But really, I pray everyday that my stomach gets bigger so I can keep up with everybody. Haha, so yeah my story for this week is how small my stomach is. Anyway, life is good. I go to bed tired every night which is probably a good thing. The people are really nice. The teenagers somtimes will scream ¨hello¨ at us...it´s kinda funny. Right now I´m just trying to work on learning the area and keeping everybody in my head straight. No joke, we have either taught or contacted so many Rosa´s and Maria´s. It´s crazness, but fun. Anyway I think I´ll end this. Oh, yesterday me and my comp had to speak in church. Haha. Well, I more of presented myself and testified and then he gave a more legit talk on the story of Enos. You should all go read Enos, good book. Well, life is good. I love you all and miss you all but I´m trying not to think about home that much. Until next week. The Church is true.

Love,
Elder Hyer

PS- open the package, there should be pictures inside.
PPS- Say hi to everyone for me. Hopefully this answered most of your questions