¡Hola Familia!
So we had conference in La Serena Friday. It was good. AND like the second week of the change Elder Machado and I and our Zone Leaders (Elder Jensen and Elder Bestor) each had 25 Lessons with member. So, the assistants brought our two companionships dominos pizza from Vina. It was like a day old....but it was so good. What else happened this week. Actually this week was un poco lameface, but good just the same. It went by really fast, and we just weren´t finding as many nuevos (new investigators) as we would like. But we found a really good one on yesterday. Her name is Patricia. We had dropped by a members house to verify about a noche de hogar (FHE) we were going to have with her. Anyway, we get there were talking for a few minutes and then she tells us that her friend was going to drop by. Patricia is really cool. And she had talked to missionaries a few years back in Punitaqui (in our Zone but in el Campo- the country). We´re hoping that she´ll progress, she loves to read (which means she´ll read the Book of Mormon) and she´s already got the support of her member friend/nieghbor. It was cool. We should have three baptisms on the third. But possibly only two. Please keep Matias in your prayers. He´s an awesome kid but for reason doesn´t retain what we teach very well. He has the desires for baptism and has been participating for like three plus months in the church and everything. I think a lot of it though is the way we´ve been teaching. With Matias and Diego (there brothers) we´ve kinda taught lessons kinda fast. And Diego retains information really well and remembers really well. So I think that made us think that they were both understanding. The other thing is that, not even kiding, there´s like "five things/steps" for like three lessons. For example- Five steps of Repentence, Five Steps of the Gospel, Five Things in the Word of Wisdon, and Five things in the Law of Chasity, so i mean it gets a little confusing. As missionaries we need to do a better job of teaching. But...it´s hard sometimes to try to adapt the teaching when your companion doesn´t always see/realize the need. But we talked about it and we´re going to work with Matias and Diego a lot this week. Hopefully it all works out. And if its the will of the Lord, it will.
So, apparently you´re supposed to take the sacrament and pass the sacrament down the row with your right hand. I mean, I knew that if you were the deacon you were supposed to use the right hand...but for the members in the rows, had never heard of this. I´m not sure if I believe it, if anyone can give me an answer...let me know. Anyway, the story behind this. So yesterday during the sacrament i take the bread with my right hand then pass it the tray down with my left (like I´ve pretty much naturally done my whole life). Well, the way my companion reacted you would´ve thought I was breaking the word of wisdom or something like that. At the time it kind of annoyed me because I was in the middle of...you know...the sacrament, and I didn´t enjoy being taken from that and getting a lecture about how we´re supposed to use the right hand. Anyway, now I think its kind of funny. And I really like Elder Machado. So it´s all good. Anyway, so later in Elders Quorum, this topic comes up again. I don´t remember why, but it did. And a ten-minute conversation over which hand to take the sacrament with followed. Of all the things to talk about, discuss, and debate- like maybe how we can better hometeachers, fathers, priesthood holders, why taking the sacrament every week and coming to church every week is important- we talked about what hand to take the sacrament with. And then we went over by like 20 minutes. It was funny. Gotta love Elder´s Quorum. It´s good question though, I was looking for the answer this morning- if it really matters. I think I might ask president in my next interview.
So today after we finish here in internet, we´re going to watch the Chile-Brazil game at a members house. It´s P-Day. It´ll be over by like 4:15. AND President said that it was ok to watch The World Cup (unless there was something better to do). And, what we learned on Friday (When Chile played Spain) is that its pretty much impossible to do anything during a game. We got back from La Serena like 30 minutes before the game ended and Ovalle was like a dead town. You could feel the intensity in the air. haha. And then, when it was over (even though they lost) everyone was out in the streets celebrating because they advanced to the second round, it was cool....all that was missing was the drumline. Not only is today a game day...it´s also a holiday too. So everything is closed. We were lucky to find our internet place open...well they actually opened just for us. They´re really nice here.
Sounds like things are good in Park City. I GOT THE PACKAGE. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Resees are so good. even when they´ve been melted and re-hardened. And the transformer/converter works fine, its exactly what I needed. and the Jacket should be good too! If you´re going to send me a b-day package: OIL VILE AND OIL (you´re in Utah this shouldn´t be hard to find) and some Mormon Tabernacle CD´s would be cool too...although they have to be original, not burned (unless you buy all the music off of iTunes). I don´t know I´ll think about it and let you know next week. Thanks! Well, I probably need to get going. Sounds like everybody is doing well! Say hi to all the family in Utah for me. OH and mom thanks for the emails from Derek and Jason and Foster and Peter. It´s fun to read how they´re all doing. Jason´s learning spanish!? thats awesome. I got a few dearElders from people too: Megan (I´m super glad you´re liking Spring/Summer at BYU...and I took Brother Bott´s class too! Isn´t it awesome!?), Mary (Glad that you´re liking Rexburg this semester! And that you´re still involved in all the Theatre stuff! And that you´re loving your Old Testament class...even if a lot of it seems to come back to the marriage topic...haha!), Meagan (that´s so cool that Nicole is in the MTC! Glad to hear that you´re doing good...even if you sometimes miss flower*cough cough*mound), and Julie (26-June-2011...pretty exciting!). For those of you who are writing me dearelders, the next time you write...include your email address. I might be able to respond to people that way...as in people can write me dearelders and I can respond through email, but I´m still not sure yet. We shall see. The thing is that I just shouldn´t be regularly emailing people other than my family. Anyway, Hopefully this email made sense. I think I´m going to go. Enjoy the pictures. And yes that green thing in the bowl...I ate it...and it wasnt that bad. Had kinda a weird taste though. I don´t remember what it´s called. I LOVE YOU ALL! ¡Tengan una buena semana! Please still post these on the blog even though you´re in Park City!
Love,
Elder Hyer