Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, June 21, 2010

Waka Waka Hey Hey....

¡Hola Familia!

Life is good here in Ovalle. It´s really pretty. And apparently this is like not a pretty part of the mission. We had Baptism on Saturday. It went really well. REALLY small. Like only the family, Elder Machado and I, Presidente Martinez, Hno. Valle, Oscar (Lider Misional), and the EQ Pres. So that was kinda lame, BUT it went really well. And the family really liked it. Like half the family are members and a couple aren´t, so it was good. What else. This week was pretty good. It rained on friday. When it rains here like the world shuts down. Kinda like when it snows in Texas. We have three baptisms on July 3 (They all were originally for June 26...but one by one they all got changed to the third). They´re all kids. Which is kinda a problem, that´s why two of them got changed. The mission doesn´t like to baptize kids unless they have support. So we´ve started working with the parents of Matias and Diego (who have been coming to church for like 3 months). We have there support, but they still aren´t interested. BUT they came to church yesterday with Matias and Diego...which is a good sign and Presidente Martinez talked to the family afterwards, so thats good. Angie is the sobrina of Juan Pablo and Lorena, She´s awesome. She´s 13 and she´s really smart and understands really well. Her baptism was going to be on the 26, but we think there might be problems with the baptismal font so we pushed it back a week (as for the problems with the font....don´t ask).

We´ve been trying to find. And we´ve been having some success. On miercoles (wednesday) we passed by Hermana Berta because we needed to cancel a noche de hogar that we were going to do with her and her nonmember sister. Anyway, we get there and guess who had just arrived 20 minutes before. The sister. Anyway we seized the oppurtunity and watched the Restoration with them. It was really good. Hermana Berta has been praying for her sister for a long time and I think that finally things are working out and her sister is ready for the gospel. We´re going to be teaching Ana this week, and hopefully her two kids as well.

I´m starting to realize how much I love the people. The members, the conversos, the investigators. As for Ariel Munca...that´s Elba. And she´s always saying how I need to eat more. haha its kinda funny, everytime we go over there they give us food. In their house its Elba, her two sisters and her two nieces and nephew. Alfonso, the nephew is 13 and he´s a member and so is Elba. I´m not sure if Ana and Hoofy (its like a nickname), they´re the sisters, if they will ever be baptized. But they like the missionaries and have been listening to them for like two years. Then there´s Teresa and Macarena (the two nieces) we think that there might be something there with Teresa and Macarena. But we´ll see. But they´re the ones that have family in the States. A cousin of theres is a member. That´s how they first got to know the church.

Oh, as for the title....The Waka Waka is a song/dance. It´s like the theme song of the World Cup. AND since Chile WON on Wednesday and this morning (the game ended just as we were leaving the pencion and all the cars were honking and stuff...it was cool) we hear this song a lot in the streets. It´s by shakira and its kinda gets stuck in your head really easily. haha.

Sounds like Alicia´s wedding was good! I can´t believe she´s married. Alisa, you only have two more days in Texas. When is Daniel´s wedding? When does Greg get back, in July? Andy how do you feel about Boise State joining the MWC? And Mom, you can´t just say there´s been a lot of changes in Conferences and then not say anything else. What´s been happening?!!!!!?!? That´s sad the Ormes are leaving. Our little nieghborhood group is shrinking. Hows are the missionaries from Flower Mound 1st? Any word? AND RODERICK! What´s going with Roderick? Greg and Leanne are having another girl? Dave, what are you and Ale doing this summer? Hows the restuarant? Oh and about what Brother Orme said about the food. It´s not bad, it´s pretty good usually. Its just not anything special in my opinion. Although, the choripans are super good...and the empanadas are apparently really good too (I haven´t had any yet). So yesterday in Sacrament meeting somebody´s phone off. It was the man sitting to next me, he´s a convert of about a year but can´t always come to church because his wife has alziemhers. Anyway, he totally answered it and started talking to his daughter. Really Loudly. It was hilarious (for me anyways...and my comp). Gotta love Chile. Well I´m at the point in the email where I realize I´ve been typing whatever has been coming to my mind. What else is there to say. I promise I´m going to respond to the people who have been writing me letters. I promise. Well, the church is true. I say that alot. But it´s true. The Gospel is true. And I can sit here and type out a whole email on my testimony...but the only way to know for ourselves to pray, ask, and experiment (like in Alma 32). If you sincerely want to know, you can.

Ok. I´m done, And I´m hungry. Haha, Have a great week everybody, Sounds like theres lots of changes happening. Enjoy Utah Mom! Say hi to people for me. Hows the YSA right now? I love you all!!!!!!!

Waka Waka Hey Hey something something something...in Africa.

Love, Elder Hyer