Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Saturday, August 7, 2010

I´m Mormon AND a CIA Agent





Hola Familia

Sounds like summer is moving along. Winter here is kinda winding down. The days are usually pretty comfortable for me and in the nights and in the mornings is when it starts to get a little cold. But, honestly...I don´t know how cold it is here. I´ve never really paid attention to the tempature. But typically I have not been that cold. Ovalle has pretty mild winters in my opinion. What i miss is having a warm house. Ah central air systems...what a blessing that I never realized I had.

This week was pretty normal. We had intercambios again on Wednesday. We found some new people this week too. We found this guy on Saturday. He´s 20 years old and is studying at La Escuela De Los Carabineros de Chile (Like the Chilean Police Academy...I thought Dave might find this interesting). Theres like a Carabinero school right next to the Church and he approached us and asked us if we teach english. Which we do, on thursdays. Anyway we invited him into the church and talked with him for a while and then taught him about the restortation and the book of mormon. And during the lesson he said that he had felt pretty strongly that he needed to come by the church looking for somebody at 4 (which is when one of our lessons fell through...and both of us needed to use the bathroom...so we went to the church) and just as we where unlocking the gate is when yerko approached us. It was pretty cool. He´s in is second semester at the Carabineros school and is from Viña. I guess how it works is you apply, get accepted, study and train for one year, and then you just get assigned to any...police precienct (i think is the word in English) in Chile. He seems pretty cool, we´ll see if he comes to English on thursday.

So, what else happened this week. Meh. Not much. Although I´ve been learning the little things that people think about Mormons here. They think we´re all CIA agents. No joke, i had this women tell me and Elder birchall that she didnt believe we were here to preach the word, she was convinced that we were CIA agents here to learn about the Chile and take there secrets back to the states. The other one is that some people think we have tvs in the church buildings where we like watch everything going on in the world...probably confusing the satellite at the stake centers for something its not. Haha.

Sorry this email is kinda lame. Not much happened this week. But there are some pictures this week. Mom and Dad, both of you said that other would talk about the discussion at grandmas house. haha. so how did that go? What did the missionaries teach? And mom, you mentioned you had a few things to be exicited about in terms of going home to Flower Mound...but then didn´t say what. Only that you weren´t excited for the weather. haha. Wow, the house will be really quite different without David and Mary. Poor Roderick. I hope he gets better. You should get another Dog that way he´ll be more motivated (the way Kelly was with Roderick). What kind of Dog is Miley again? Andy what do you think of BSU moving to the Mountain West? It´s nice to hear about what is going on with Grandma and Janell. Dave and Ale I think about you two a lot, partly because Chileans speak...very...distinctly. Entonces im excited to hear you guys speak and hear the difference. You still planning on going to law school dave? Well...there is not much else to say. Life is pretty good. I think i´m going to upload these pictures and send this. Then Elder Machado and I are meeting the Elders we live with in centro at Telepizza for almuerzo. hmmmm. I´m hungry.

Have an AMAZING week. I LOVE YOU ALL! AND MISS YOU ALL!

-Elder Hyer

PS-just because you´re on vacation doesn´t mean you shouldn´t post this. haha.
PPS- dave are you still updating my facebook?