Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Life is worth it

Sorry. I don´t have pictures this week. My batteries have been dead. Haha.

Anyway thanks mom for all that you wrote.

And Alisa....i so wish i could read your blog. that entry that dad forwarded me about David playing basketball pretty much made my life.

So Zandi is trying to do the same thing that Ale did? Random question.....is my room still the same? i just thought about that for some reason.

So this week was pretty good. We found a family. We taught the mom and all the kids...now we just gotta talk to the dad. Sandrino told us he is not going to get baptized. Long story. One day he will. I know it. Just not now. Maria Jose is now getting baptized on May 28th. She told us that her Mom revealed to her that she too had been baptized into the Church. That happens alot here in Chile. I think like everyone has family or something that is LDS and is inactive. Its crazy. We found an inactive lady last night, shes really cool. She lived in Argentina for like 10 years. And gave us some Alfajores (whether they were Chilean or Argentinian i´m not sure. but I thought of Peter). We also taught the girlfriend of a youth in one of the other wards, her mom also listened. The girl had questions about the plan of salvation and the law of chasity. I´ve never taught those two things in the same lesson. But it actually worked really well.

I heard from Elba. She got her endowments. And Elder Birchall was there! BAH! I´m kind of annoyed with myself that I did not ask permission to go. Its all good i guess. There was craziness happening last week with the arrival of Elder Lawrence and everything.

So how is Jason McFarland? I gotta write him. So who is leaving on their mission from the ward besides the Hoop´s son? I feel like there a lot coming home and not many leaving. I also understand that this can be a sensitive subject with a lot of people. But, If there is anyone who reads these things that is contemplating on whether or not serving a mission....using the words of Nike, JUST DO IT. If you are guy, its a priesthood responsibility, If you are a girl....it is an experience that will bless you everyday of your life. If for some reason you are questioning yourself or your worthiness. go talk to your bishop. make it right. do what you have to do. And then leave behind everything for two years or 18 months and I promise you will find more happiness and more joy than you have ever felt in your life. Yes, it will be hard. The mission is not easy. But every moment is worth it. Everything you learn will be worth the hard moments. Don´t think that anything is impossible. This message goes for Senior Couples as well. We have four in our mission and they are all ending there missions within like five months. And the senior couples in La Mision Viña, have played a very important role.  They have blessed the lives of many people, as well as the young missionaries they work with. A lifetime of experiences are awaiting you in a big white envelop. I recently got a letter from my friend Mary Gritis. She reports to the MTC in June. She asked me "what's it like? to really be there?" Mary: there aren't words or time to describe it. You will love your mission. I will end this soapbox email with this quote that mary sent me:

"You have a heritage: Honor It. You will meet sin: Shun it. You have the truth: Live it. You have a Testimony: Share it."
-President Thomas S. Monson, Propthet of the Lord Jesus Chist and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Have a Great week. I love you all.

Elder Hyer