Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, May 17, 2010

You Came Over and the Sun Came Out

Hola

Let´s see life is pretty good here in CaniFliate. Fliate means like gangster or ghetto. And there´s lots of Fliates in my area. Entonces, instead of saying Canihunate...sometimes we say Canifliate.

Anyway, yesterday we baptized the Robles family!!!!!!!!!! I love this family so much. It was really cool, I baptized Alexis, my companion baptized Valentina, and two members from the ward baptized the parents. This family, they have five kids. The oldest, Francisca joined the church like 5 years ago. Then there´s Alexis and Valentina. Then there´s Maxi, he´s like 6 and then Fabian who´s like 7 months. Anyway on Saturday we went by their house just pass by and share a scripture. Anyway, it rained pretty much all weekend. And it was raining when we got the Roble´s house. But when we left it had cleared up a little bit and there was a rainbow. Well, Elder Birchall and I were leaving and Maxi comes running out the door and says "Elders, you came over that the sun came out!" It was awesome.

We´re teaching a couple new people now. Amanda is the cousin of Juan Pablo and Lorena (the siblings that got baptized a couple weeks back) she has a fecha for June 12 and is progressing pretty nicely. Juan Pablo and Lorena are awesome with sharing the gospel with their family. We had a Noche de Hogar with them last night and they had invited some other cousins who we are teaching again thursday I think. Anyway, I´m excited. We´ve both trying to use lots of different resources to find new people to teach. Our goal is to have a baptism every week of next change (basically every weekend in June). And we have a couple other people we can put fechas with this week. So please keep Stefany and Claudia in your prayers. There is also the Lopez family. We´ve been teaching them since my first week. The mom and daughter are the most interested I think. But we can´t get them to come to church. Before beginning the mission, I never realized how important it was for an investigator to attend church. Holy Cow, IT´S SUPER IMPORTANT. Along with them reading and praying and gaining a testimony, participating in la iglesia es muy importante. So hopefully this next sunday we can get them to church.

So on a Saturday night we went over to the Gonzales home to teach them La Palabra de Sabiduría (Word of Wisdom). Ok, this is a Menos-Activa mom, her two older daughters (who we baptized in the beginning of the change). And then theres Maricio, the boyfriend. He´s a really cool guy and we really want him and Paola to get married so he can get baptized. We´ve taught the whole family a couple times about the Law of Chasity and Eternal Marriage and what not. Anyway, we had planned to teach the Word of Wisdom because Maricio needs it. So we go over there to find that they have friends over. Turns out they were all drunk. Except for Paola (the kids weren´t there). Haha, so yes, we went to go teach the word of wisdom only find the people we were going to teach it to were drunk. So instead we quickly shared Mosiah 3:19 about overcoming the natural man and left. It was rather an interesting experience. haha.

The language, well its coming. It´s a slow process. I don´t think I´m studying it as hard as I need too. But my companion helps me out a lot. But it´s really interesting how this language thing works. For example yesterday we were in a lesson and I´m not sure why but for some reason I could not remember spanish. I don´t if I was distracted by something and or what. But my companion even noticed it. And then later that night we taught a lesson and my spanish was fine, and came to me pretty easily. Anyway, it´s just interesting how it all works.

Random Fact about Chile (or at least Ovalle): The people here, they won´t always water the grass. But they ALWAYS water the dirt. Nothing grows. But every morning everyone waters their dirt. It keeps the dust down and everything, but its just kinda funny.

Things sound good at home. Is Mary potty trained then? Does Alicia know where she and Peter are going to be living next fall yet? Oh and I got DearElders on tuesday because the Zone Leaders went down to Viña. I got ones from Bri, Mary, Megan and Dad. Bri and Megan thanks for the updates about YSA-ness. Mary thanks for rexburg update. I promise that at somepoint I will write you. I´m just not sure how or when. We don´t go down to centro to the post office that often. but someday, you will get a letter from me! But I love getting letters from people and hearing how everyone is doing! Oh, and Bri and Megan, I´ve taught a couple people the Fire Burning handshake. Haha. Well, not much else to tell. I think Elder Birchall and I are just going to chill today after we go buy stuff and go run some errands. We both have some major behind-in-our-journal-ness we need to take care of. Read the Book of Mormon, then PRAY!

Elder Hyer