Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuck in the Water



Hola Familia.

I just read an email from Dad.

WHAT!!!! So Boise State really is going to join MWC? Thanks for that one sentence of distraction dad.

Dayne´s getting MARRIED!?

Life is good here in Chile. We had two baptisms on saturday. Amanda and Stefany. I was asked to baptize stefany. And she would not go under water. We performed the baptism like 6 times...plus practiced a number of times too. And she´s REALLY shy. And I didn´t do a great job of explaining how it was all going to work. But because shes timid she just wanted to get the baptism done and get out of the water (plus the water was a bit cold as well). Anyway so the first time she unplugged her nose as she went into the water. So not only is she coughing...she´s embarrassed because like a whole bunch of people are watching her. I felt horrible. We tried it like two more times then they closed the doors to the pila (font) so we could take a minute to breath and everything. So we practice a couple times. Presidente Martinez (the branch pres) and Oscar (the branch mission leader) walk in from the door and stand on the stairs. On the other side is Stefany´s mom and Elba (an RC from last change who was helping out). Anyway they are all talking trying to help and trying to encourage stefany. Im in the water with stefany. thinking to myself "I don´t speak spanish...and i know exactly what needs to be said" it was kind of a funny moment. anyway. this is the cool part. We decided to just perform it with Oscar and President, Elba, and Sionara (the mom). We didn´t open the doors to the pila again. Anyway the final time (when she actually went completely down into the water and then came back up) When I started the prayer, I felt the spirit really strongly and knew that this was the moment, that this was the time. It was cool.

What else is interesting. Oh the world cup. Holy Cow. On Saturday at the baptism everyone wanted to be the one to tell me that the England and the States had tied. And my comp is from Argentina where they´re like...way into it. So he was having a hard time focusing on Saturday (Argentina played Sat. morn.). Every house we walk into now has the TV on and they´re watching either a game or recaps. Let´s just say we´ve given in a few times and watched...especially if its during almuerzo. Chile plays there first game against Honduras on Wednesday at like 7:30 am chilean time. You should all watch it.

What else. That´s weird that Alisa and the kids are leaving. Have they really lived there for a year? That´s cool Jonathan goes in on Wednesday! So the ormes are really moving to Mexico then? That´s so weird that Jason and Ryan finish in like a month. Hows Derek and Foster and Peter and Jason M. all doing? Mom tell Alicia congratulations for me! So David´s five now? Weird. Mom what are you and Dad going to do in the fall when you return from Utah to a legitly empty-nester house? So I´ve been gone for like four months. Wow. time passes really fast. We have another baptism this saturday. His name´s Alvaro. He´s 21 and his parents and sister were all baptized in La Serena back in like 2006. And now we´re baptizing him. He´s pretty cool. I´m excited for saturday. And if everything works out well, we should be having another baptism the week after too for Angie, Matias, and Diego. It was so cool yesterday we dropped by Diego and Matias´s house and i was talking to diego about how he liked church and said "Me gustaría participar en la santa cena un día" (I would like to participate in the sacrament some time). He´s 13 so he would be able to do so a week or two after his baptism as a deacon.

Hmmm. Thanks for the dear elders people. I started writing some people back last p-day. but didn´t finish. maybe this week or the next I´ll finally get some done. Well i should probably go soon. Here´s some more pictures. From the baptism and a few from the last days in the MTC. Have an amazing day! The Church is true, I love you all!

Elder Hyer