Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, October 4, 2010

"Soy Elder Hyer, No hablo Ingles"

hola familia.

Todo está bien aca en Cani- I mean Limache. wow. I´d been so used writing Canihuante.

Everything is really good here in Limache. So yeah last monday me and elder garcia (from Limari) said bye to our comps and went down to the zone leaders pencion at like 10 pm . were there with the Zone leaders until like 1 (it was fun...we just talked. I´m going to miss them, Elder Purnell goes home in six weeks so I probably won´t see him again). and then at one we walked over to the terminal de bus with all our stuff and elder garcia and I got on a bus. it was actually a pretty nice bus. Double decker lots of leg space and leather seats. Yeah, we travel high class in this mission. haha. sometimes the buses are awesome and other times no. me and elder garcia lucked out. so we´re on the bus and then Elder garcia got off at like 5 a.m. in La Calera. So we´re getting closer to Viña and I kinda started getting nervous because I was only in Viña for one day when i first got here. I have no clue how to get from the bus terminal to the mission office. Luckily we pull into the bus terminal and the assistents are there waiting for me. With there car. So i go to the office and I´m there for like three or four hours. And finally they tell me, ok you´re going up to Limache solo. just take your stuff and walk out the big main road and take a micro. I´m pretty sure it was a really rather hilarious sight. Because I´m gringo, I was solo and I had two years worth of stuff with me. And I´m trying to find the micro for Limache. and everyone in the street keeps trying to speak english to me. Finally i get on a micro. and micros are just like little commuter buses. not meant to carry missionaries that have two years worth of stuff. But finally i got to Limache and found my companion.

Limache is really pretty. This whole part of the mission reminds me a ton of California. Limache is really tranquilo. my zone is the zone of villa alemana. you could say this: Viña/Valpo would like be like dallas or Ft. worth and Villa Alemana would be like grapevine or flower mound and Limache would be like argyle...maybe even a little like justin. a little bit in the country but still really close to like city-city places.

Conference was AWESOME. we watched it at the stake center in Villa alemana and they had a room in english for the missionaries. i really liked a lot of the talks. I loved how President Uchtdorf compared the tree to the airplane. that was good.
I would write more about conference but I don´t really have the energy too. haha. it was really good though. we got to watch all five sessions. I was sad when it ended. I only have two more conferences left in the mission. weird huh?

Limache is pretty cool. We have seven people with fecha. when i got here there were four and we put three more this week. hopefully they will all progress. please pray for them. My companion is pretty cool, i´m excited. he actually reminds me a lot of Dayne DeAdder. it kinda creeps me out sometimes because its like ¨wow...your like dayne except you speak spanish".

sounds like all is good at home. wait, so they asay´s are moving? im glad you´re feeling better mom! I got a DearElder from the waltons. sounds like everything is going well with them! i´ll try to write you guys sometime! Oh, just a reminder...if you are going to send me something be sure to specify that you are sending it to Elder DANIEL Hyer. Because theres two of us in the mission and he´ll be in the mission until just before I leave. He told me he´d gotten some of my stuff. so just a reminder. thats good that FMHS beat marcus, thats fun. I don´t even wanna talk about byu. im glad im on my mission. well i dont know what else to say. sorry this email has been a little lame. but sounds like life is all good in Flower Mound. Im jealous you got to see the paws show mom. say hi to people for me. they got another new tech teacher? I LOVE YOU ALL.

Elder Daniel Hyer

PS- THANK YOU FLOWER MOUND 1ST WARD PRIMARY.
PPS- that´s cool that they are doing roadshows. we talked about that when I was on stake youth committee...but we didn´t do it because of the whole time thing.