Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, December 6, 2010

Adventures in La Pila Bautismal


HOLA

Well, here we are. another monday.


Well this morning my comp had an interview with presidente so we had to be in the offices at like 10. and after we had like an hour before we needed to be doing internet. so we walked around the part of viña close to the offices a little bit. i really like this city. it´s probably my favorite city in the world.


The exciting news is that we had a baptism on saturday AND a confirmation on sunday. Horacio was baptized and confirmed this weekend. He got married to a member like a month ago. hes finishing up med school right now so his life is a little crazy, BUT he got baptized. which is cool. the service was really good the spirit was really good and Horacio was really happy. probably one of the better ones that i´ve had. of course we started at like 4:30 instead of 4...but hey...we´re in
Chile.

So on wednesday we did intercambios and I went to Con-Con with the Zone leaders and we ate almuerzo with these members who are from
peru. they´re from like selba or something like that. the only city from Dave´s mission i can ever remember is Iquitos. they said they knew where that was. I think they lived in the Lima North Mission. anyway so we had like peruvian food. it was good. basically it was pollo asado with papas with this crema/sauce called...Ocopa de Arocoto....something like that. Dave. maybe you what im talking about. anyway it was good.

Then on Friday we did more intercambios with our District Leader except i stayed in my sector this time with Elder Robinson (my zone likes intercambios...alot). Anyway we had to go clean the pila bautismal (
baptismal font). so we cleaned it for like two hours, and cleaned the drain SUPER well. anyway. so we decided to fill it up a little bit just make sure it was working out. So it fills up a little bit and everything is working well. so we go to start draining. And it doesn´t drain. After a few minutes I decided...well maybe there is something wrong in the drain. so i take off my shoes and socks, roll up my pants and everything and get into the water. well, i discover that I can´t even reach the drain with my hands without getting completely wet. it was also at this time that i realize. Wait, We had this problem in Ovalle. and then I ask Elder Robison, make sure all the water is turned off in the bathroom. And sure enough, not all the water was turned off.  he turns it off and water starts draining. So basically i got myself wet for no reason.

What else happened this week. that´s about it. Things are pretty good. I probably won´t write you guys next week because Horacio is going to go to the temple with the Elders Quorum on Wednesday and because hes a convert we can go too. But it kinda counts as a p-day. entonces, don´t expect anything from me next week.  BUT you should still email me just in case we do get a little bit of time to email next monday.


Sounds like everything is good back home. I didn´t know
Arkansas was that pretty. Sounds like the Mountain West just lost like everything, but they are getting Boise State. thats cool. I´m glad you liked the christmas devotional mom and dad. I would love to say that i know what talks you´re talking about. but i don´t. we didn´t even know it was happening. so the ormes are still in mexico huh? speaking of christmas cards. what are you guys doing this year? please don´t be borning and not do one. From what mom tells me sounds like christmas is in full swing at the Alisa and Greg´s house. "Morris did be dead!" Man, i miss those two little ones. And i can totally see mary organizing the tree like that.  Sounds like Christmas will be fun....and slightly crazy this year. man dad...do you know what would be a funny christmas letter idea for this year? a shortened version of the story of last christmas or something like that. that´d be funny, i´m sure you could figure it out. Hmmm...what else can I tell you. I got an email from Elba (Canihuante) sounds like things are good in Ovalle (I had sent them a letter). The branch president is now in the district presidency and another hermano from the the rama is the new district presidente! so thats cool.

Well the pictures are from the baptism, the view of Valparaíso from my sector, a ship in la puerto de Valpo (not a very good picture but whatever), me dealing with the pila, the front half of la capilla Nueva Aurora and part of the table setting of an almuerzo. i thought of Dave.


I hope all is well at home. I love you all. I guess i get to talk to soon. thats cool. You´ll need to let me know where you´ll be and everything. Im not sure where we will be calling from. I LOVE YOU ALL. Have an amazing day!


Elder Hyer