Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Speaking Mexican and Chilean are two very different things

Hola Familia-

This week was... interesting. Question, Harry Potter 8? Someone told me that JK Rowling was writing an 8th book? But I don't know if i believe it.

OH. So Elder Bluemel (the other Elder that lives with us) is training Elder Viveros. From Mexico. Ale, what is your village's name? He lives really close to San Miguel. Like, 20 minutes. So it was cool talking to him about that. He's from Queratera or something like that. It's really funny talking to him. Because he uses all his mexican sayings. And i use all the chilean ones. and sometimes we don't understand eachother. haha. it was pretty funny trying to explain to him a little bit of Chileano his first night here.

Yes, i heard that Dallas won the NBA. A kid from our ward told us. Last night was also the Chilean National Football Championship. La U won. in a huge surprise. Lots people were going crazy.

So theres a whole bunch of changes going on in education here in Chile. And literally like everyday the schools are on boycott. So the kids are always out of school. its pretty crazy.

We had ward conference this weekend. I like how they make a huge deal about ward conference here. So much more stuff goes into it. Activities, temple trip, a giant cake. It's cool. Maybe they did that kind of stuff in Flower Mound? I don't know, I never noticed.

Mom, yes the nice side of staying in an area is that already know everything. But that doesn't always necesarily make you more effective. It just means you already have like a natural bias to things. Which, in the end is what you have to fight against. Which is what I'm trying to do. But its ok, I'm glad I stayed.

Last night we had a really good Noche de Hogar with this family that has been inactive for a while. Both parents served missions (and love to talk about there missions). He was a stake president (like when he was really young) here in Chile when Elder Holland came and basically changed everything. I don't know if you guys really understand what happened to the Church in here in Chile. I don't think I understand. But, we will take Viña del Mar for example. Viña went from having four stakes....to two. And I think with all these changes, it really tried his testimony. So he went inactive. On top of all that, they have had marriage problems for basically ever. The Mom has been coming to church with the two kids. The Dad likes to see his family go to the church but says that its hard from him to go. Anyway. So we had a Noche de Hogar. The wife, as soon as I pulled out the proclamation on the Family. Tears started welling up in her eyes. We read like two paragraphs from it. And then we asked them (the mom and dad) to share some spiritual experiences that they had on the missions etc. Sharing these types of experiences (especially when the kids are younger like their kids) IS SO IMPORTANT. Anyway they both shared some really awesome experiences and testimonies. Then my companion shared some stuff about his family...and, wow. It was powerful. The Spirit was strong. Everyone was in tears. And then we just sat in silence for a moment. And then me and comp testified about how the message of the Restoration and the Atonement of Jesus Christ is that in the end every single one of us can return to live with our Heavenly Father and that more importantly THE FAMILY can return to live with God for eternity.  I don't know what will happen with this family, but at least last night they felt the spirit again.

Something that I have learned on the mission is the danger of Pride. It really is the beginning of all sin. And we all have, in some way or another, a little bit of Pride. Pride is everywhere. Everytime we meet an inactive person (which there are lot), do you want to know the reason why they are inactive? When it all comes down to it, they are inactive because of their own Pride and sometimes because of the pride that exists in the "active" members of the church. And after reading the Proclamation on the family with this family last night, I feel like the general message of that document is...Humility. It can be hard, but we can all be a little more humble. and we can all have a little more Faith, Hope, and Charity.

Well sounds like things are good in Flower Mound. That's weird that those people are graduated. I feel old. Well I love you all. Hope that you have a great week!

Elder Hyer