To: ewhyer201@aol.com
Sent: Wed, Mar 3, 2010 11:39 am
Subject: I'm not the only Hyer here
Hola Familia. Well obviously the big news right now is the earthquake in Chile. My district was told about it Saturday night. Then on sunday we had a fireside with Stephen B Allen (managing director of the missionary department or something) and he went into a little more detail about it. He also informed us of the Gold Medal hockey game between the US and Canada, sounded pretty crazy! How were the Olympics this year? Anyway back to Chile: Thanks for all the information. We've been kind of thirsty for news. Apparently the hardest hit area was the Concepción area. And three of the Elders in my district (including my comp) are going to the Concepción South Mission. It´s werid to think that If things had been different...I would´ve been in Chile already. And been there for this. Most of us expect that by the time we get there we will still have the opportunity to do a lot of service, which is good. AND think about how humble the people will be? But please keep the Chileans in your prayers. All the missionaries going to Chile in my district (four Elders and two Hermanas) were all pretty wound up about all this. In the fireside on Sunday, Stephen B Allen had all those going to Chile stand and then went on and explained the situation. Ah, I already love the Chileans. Preston Speakman is in the Santiago West mission, anyone out there know how he's doing? Well enough Earthquake talk. Sunday was an awesome day, our whole district went up the temple and we took a ton of pictures (I'll try to send some home soon). And then yesterday morning two of the Elders in our district left for the Guatemala CCM. It's pretty sad. Our district is now even. Four Elders and four Hermanas. I wouldn't be surprised if we were the only even-numbered district in the MTC. Haha. Oh, So I met another Elder Hyer. Who is also going to the Chile Viña del Mar mission. He, however is the transfer ahead of me and was supposed to leave Monday...but they closed the Santiago Airport and he said It might be another week before he leaves. Anyway, he is from Homedale, ID and we think we're somehow related. He said his Great-Grandfather is Andrew Hyer from Cache Valley. Aren't related somehow to the Hyers in Cache valley? So that was pretty cool. We'll have two Elder Hyer's in the same mission. Oh, so congratulations to Mikhael Doe on her engagement. Craziness. But cool. Jason left yesterday morning, I saw him quite a few times. It was just really hard to yell Elder Mcfarland at him when I saw him instead of Jason. Haha. What else is there to say....I still love Spanish. But it is still hard. Overall life is good. But everyday has ups and downs. The food? Well i just kinda block it out of my mind. Haha. Sounds like you guys had some fun with Dave's b-day party. I miss David and Mary- even the noise. And thanks for Blog update Alisa. Especially the one about Mo. haha. Oh, and thanks for the emails, I enjoyed reading both Jason's and Peter's. And Dad, I can pretty much follow all the letters you have sent me in Spanish. Oh, please remember to backup my laptop sometime. AND I'M SO INSANELY JEALOUS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO THE BYU-TCU BBALL GAME. You can almost see the Marriot Center from my classroom window and last wednesday night we saw a ton of cars pulling away. How is BYU doing? Hmm...I really should like take notes throughout the week of what I want to say so that I can remember. Haha. Mostly life is good. And I've been here for three weeks. It's gone by fast...but yet slow. I'm losing all sense of time. And the weather has been beautiful. Well, I probably should go. Thanks for all the mail and support. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!! Love, Elder Hyer PS- With the whole DearElder thing, who is BabyHyer supposed to be?