Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One Month. What?

From: Daniel George Hyer
To: ewhyer201@aol.com
Sent: Wed, Mar 10, 2010 11:18 am
Subject: One Month. What?

Hola Familia! Ok, so last wednesday we went to the temple and we get up to the temple at like 3:30 for a 4:00 session. Anyway my comp had left his recommend in our room. SO with 28 minutes to spare we run back down to our building (on the complete opposite side of the MTC from the Temple) up to the fourth floor and then all the back up the hill to the Provo Temple (Let me remind you we were in our suits and for a March Day in Utah, it was not that cold). So we get in and get changed, and get into the chapel with like 3 seconds to spare. We were pretty proud of ourselves. But then we realized how sweaty and disgusting we looked. It was bad. But funny at the sametime. AND then the name I had was James May, Abt 1678, from Donegal, Ireland. Which automically reminded me of Robin Pratt singing "There's a place in America called Alberqueque, and I'm hoping its a bit like Donegal..." But still, the Temple last wednesday was a very good experience. Let's see, thanks for the letters this past week, and sending me those emails. I'm now the District Leader so I now have the ever important job of getting the mail everyday (among other things). Ok, so on thursday My companion goes into the Health Clinic and walks out with a diagnosis (sp?) of a bacterial Sinus Infection. But he got some medicine for it and he should be fine. But then, like 30 minutes later we're in Gym. I walk over the Volleyball court and these guys in my Zone ask me if I knew what happened to my companion. Well apparentely he had really badly sprained his ankle. Like no joke, REALLY badly. So on top of him being sick, he has a horrible ankle sprain. We loving refer to him as the Gimp. And a member of the Branch Presidency game him a cane...and now we call him Brother Brigham, Gordon B Hinckley, or "Elder Hyer's General Authority Companion". Saturday was my first RC experience. It wasn't that bad I guess. I only talked to two people. And one of them was an in-bound call from a lady in Dallas. She had a 214 number. I thought it was pretty cool. So more about my district: Elder Smith (Companion)- from Clovis, CA. Elder Lisonbee from Highland, UT. Elder Fetty, from Friendswood, TX (Houston), then Hermana Fawcett from Riverton, Hermana Montandon from North Las Vegas, Hermana Peterson from Morgan, UT and Hermana McEwen from Rightwood, CA. Then there's also Elder Dudley from Lindon, UT and Elder Marquis from Tennessee. But they were the two that left for the Guatemalan MTC last week. Muy triste. The other three elders are going to Chile- Concepcion South. Hermana Peterson is going to Malagra (sp?) Espana, Hermana McEwen to NYC-South, Hermana Fawcett to Vina del Mar (my mission) and then Hermana Montandon is going to Chile- Antofagasta (the mission north of Vina). Our district is pretty fun.CONGRATS TO JOHNATHAN!!!!!! France will be so cool. So now we're at Peru, Mexico, Argentina, San Bernadino, Fresno, Chile, Seattle, and France. That's pretty cool. Ok, time for Soapbox: I think we as members of the Church to do much assuming in missionary work. We assume that because we live in Flower Mound, TX we won't have missionary success. We assume that people who go to Europe won't have success. We'll we're wrong. By telling ourselves that, then of course we won't have success because we're not trusting in Heavenly Father that he will lead us to the his children who has prepared to the hear the gospel. Just a thought that I've had over the past few days. Maybe we need to stop assuming and do little more DOING. Haha. Ok now i'm off my soapbox. Yesterday we had a devo with Bruce C. Hafen. It was awesome. I would tell you all about it, but I'm running out of time. So i'll just say this: A testimony needs to be built on three things: Reason, Spiritual Feelings, and Experience. I'm ok with the 4Runner being at Daves. BUT I do insist that somehow I get ahold of a license plate. That's funny that I finally got my Letter. Haha. Speaking of theatre, any word on One-Act? I LOVE YOU ALL! GO OUT AND SERVE SOMEONE AND YOU'LL FEEL BETTER! Love, Elder Hyer