Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, September 6, 2010

I Can´t Think of a Title. Oh Well.

Hola

This week was interesting. Ok, so right now in Ovalle the missionaries are: The Zone Leaders, Limari, Canihuante, Ovalle Norte, and the Senior Couple (and Monte Patria...the pueblo thats like 45 minutes away). So this past week they had a special 4-day long training in La Serena (about the changes they´re making) for all Zone Leaders, District Leaders and Trainers. So my comp is a district leader. Elder Briones in Limari, is training as well with the District leader in Ovalle Norte. So, Tuesday through friday there were three missionaries in Ovalle. Me (who only has 5 months in chile) and two nuevitos. Luckily we live with the Elders in Limari so it wasn´t as difficult for us. Basically what we had to do was have a member come out with us all day. Which is way cool. but still, for a week? it was really hard not having a companion. A couple times I worked with Elder Garcia (Limari) because members didn´t show up and stuff. But still, it was a little crazy this week. But at night and in the morning me and Elder Garcia would talk and stuff, he´s pretty cool. He´s the one thats mexican but when he was five he moved to Spanish Fork and kinda sounds like Peter Walton sometimes (not even kidding, a couple times I almost called him Peter).

Wow...I´m not sure if that paragraph made sense. Oh well.

Lets see what else happened this week? Yesterday during testimony meeting Lorena (convert) bore her testimony and talked about the Book of Mormon and for her how the Book of Mormon is a treasure. Its so nice to hear converts testify of things like that. I´ve learned a lot about the Book of Mormon this past week actually. It really is the key. Because its like test. If the Book of Mormon is true everything else is.

The other day someone in the pencion had How Firm a Foundation playing, and it reminded me of Derek Asay. I wanna say he talked about this song in a talk one time before he left on his mission. I´m not really sure what any of this has to do with anything...but whatever, the song has a good message. Both Derek and Foster are in the office? Haha thats cool. Thats awesome that Dereks area is Fresno State though. Man. That´d be cool to have a university in your area. Lots of interesting people to teach.

So BYU won? That´s fun. And theres two head QBs. I can imagine all the blog comments on DeseretNews.com now. Haha. And Flower Mound won too? Hmmm...if they´re breaking ground on Saturday I bet they finish the new stake center either just before i get home or just a little bit after. probably be what? year and half to two years? That´s crazy our Ward has been getting that many new families. Lots of youth or young families or like a mixture? Any new families in our neighborhood? that´s cool that one of them is on a mission in the DR. The Pace´s moved right? Sounds like Johnathan is doing well.

Happy Late birthday to Andy and Alisa. Happy Labor Day as well! It´s now September and Chile´s Independence day is the 18th. And when they celebrate the independence here, they have like FOUR DAYS OF FIESTA. And this year is an even bigger deal because its the Bicintennial (spelling?....200 years). So people have already started decorating all the cars and everything. I´m not exactly sure what we´re going to do as missionaries with everyone drunk and eating Asado (BBQ) for four days but, I guess we´ll find out. Lots of families will be at home together right? Oh, and this saturday the whole mission has to be home at six in evening instead of 10 because Sept. 11 is a bad day in Chilean history as well. From what I understand Sept. 11, 1973 was when the president was killed and the military took over or something, something to do Pinochet....i don´t know...but apparently people still have protests and stuff.

Well I can´t really think of much else to say. Thanks for the emails mom and dad and all the updates on everybody and everything. I got a dearelder from Alex Owens! And the postcard from Mom and Dad. Hows Roderick doing? Hope you have a safe trip to Wisconsin mom! And that all goes well with your surgery when you get back. I hope everything is going well! Goodluck in school Dave and Ale. Our Branch Mission Leaders daughter was watching Dora when we were over there last night and I thought of Mary. Except this time instead of parts of it being in spanish....the whole thing was spanish ¨"Dora, Dora, Dora la exploradora". Ok well I´m pretty sure I´m just rambling now. So I think I´ll go. I love you all. I´ve started sending letters to a couple people....maybe you´re gotten them? I don´t know how long it takes.

Happy Labor Day.

-Elder D. Hyer