Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Well This Is Weird

HOLA.

Thats lame that BYU lost.

This week was pretty good I guess. We had a special conference in La Serena with Elder Zeballos of the Seventy. He´s the Area President here in Chile. He and his wife both spoke. IT WAS AWESOME. His wife was super cool, and his talk was really good. They talked alot about faith and enjoying the experience. He was a Mission President in Concepcion Sur before being called to the Seventy. It was just a really good day. Definitely something I needed. Because I´m not going to lie, this change has been REALLY good but really hard at the sametime. I think mainly because I know it the sector so well that I have like a bias. Does that make sense? Sometimes I feel like I´m not having the faith that I need and stuff. But then the other day my comp told me that I was the humble one. And I was like....No. I´m the one that needs to work on the humilty. And I love Canihuante, I love the members and we have a couple really good investigadores (who are going to get baptized!) and I know we´re going to find a whole bunch more in the next couple weeks but I don´t know. I mean everything is really good and I don´t want it to sound like things are bad because they aren´t...it´s just meh. I personally feel like my spanish hasn´t improved much, which is kind of annoying. I just need to work harder at it I guess. Oh well the hard moments never last long and the good moments are worth it. I was talking with Elder Briones (an Elder in Limari) this morning about how the mission is everything....really awesome high moments and then really hard moments as well. We talked a lot about trying to find the balance in missionary work. I guess that´ll be something we discover over time.

Wow. Sorry for that really lame paragraph. I really am doing fine. this week was pretty good, because the Conference in La Serena was awesome. Everyone here is getting ready for the 18th. There´s Chilean flags EVERYWHERE. I´ll have take pictures this week...oh and speaking of the 18th, everyone will be closed for like 4 days, so next week I will be emailing you on tuesday instead of monday because monday everything will be closed. Lorena was telling us the lame thing about the 18th of September is that a lot of people use it as an excuse to just get really really really drunk. so this week could be pretty interesting.

So you guys remember Dana (the one with the boyfriend in the mine)? Well her older brother just randomly decided to move back home. We taught him once on tuesday with the family, helped paint his house on wednesday and saturday taught him and his family again. He now has fecha for the 23 of October. Christian is getting baptized on the 25 of September. And we´ve found some other people who are pretty cool so we will see what happens.

I really like Chile a lot. The way to La Serena from Ovalle is super pretty. Oh man, I love the mission...yes sometimes its really hard but everyday ends as a good day. Sorry this email is super lame. Sounds like Wisconsin is pretty cool. Whens your surgery mom? Sounds like things are good back home in Flower Mound. Do you realize we´ve lived in Flower Mound for almost seven years. WEIRD. Well this cyber is having internet problems. so hopefully you guys get this. I love you all. Thanks for all the updates. Dearelder me your email address and I´ll respond to you that way. Megan white....i mailed you a letter today. but I guess since your in school in Idaho and I sent it to texas you might not get it for a while. I also sent a letter to meagan westenskow like three weeks ago, maybe you´ve gotten it by now? Well i need to go. I love you all. Life is good. I promise. The only real `problem that I have is my clothes, they´re ALL HUGE ON ME. But i´m looking for somebody who could like alter them (at least the pants). thanks for the love and support. Mom, did you post that mormon messages video?

Until TUESDAY September 21st.

Elder Hyer

Happy 200th Birthday Chile.

PS- Saturday was Sept 11. Weird, nine years. We had to be in the pencion at 6 for safety reasons because the 11 of sept is a bad day in Chilean history as well, something to do with Pinochet. When I ask people I always get different answers...but I guess thats because people have different views on what happened...so yeah.