Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, March 14, 2011

La Boca Chueca returns.

Hola.

So yes, I know all about the Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan. Partly because it was kind of big news and because everyone in chile was freaking out. The whole chilean coast got evacuated. In the end, I think the only area that had somewhat of a small tsunami was in el sur. But it was good that it happened, because the evacuation and everything worked. Chile also had like 24 hours of time. But still, it showed that Chile was prepared (maybe not quite as orderly as the Japanese, but prepared none the less). Usually when things like this happen, people either are more receptive or more closed. The two extremes. But in the end, you have to have faith and be spiritually and temporally prepared.

Do you guys remember the Boca Chueca?(Boca Chueca August) I got my first Boca Chueca excuse of 2011 the other day. And it was like a plesent 70 degrees outside. So this time as an excuse...EPIC FAIL. Haha.

Yesterday we had lunch with this SUPER rich family. They're kind of inactive but give the missionaries lunch. But they're really well off. Its kind of weird. I think i might feel weird eating at home when i get back. BUT they had Thousand Island dressing. Because they shop at Jumbo (the grocery store that has all the international quico stuff).

Sounds like stuff is going well at home. Thats cool that Dad is a Gospel Doctrine teacher. Just don't be boring. Haha. I'm glad you had fun in Wisconsin. And thats way cool about Anna and Douglas. Thats makes me glad to hear they're going to get sealed. On saturday we ate lunch with the bishop, who's dad is the first counselor in the Santiago Temple presidency. It was cool to talk to him about what he does and everything. Go to the temple if you can. We live SOOOOO close in Dallas. He actually said that in Santiago, the santiago stakes have like the worst assistence. Definitely La Quinta region (basically my mission) has some of the highest assistence rates. We're not that far, like an hour and half usually.

Random question: Is Amtrak still around? Someone asked us if you could travel by train in the US.

The family thats coming on March 25....it would be like a meet-them-in-the-airport for like ten minutes type of thing. DOn't send me stuff. I'll send you something. I can give them phone numbers if you want...they speak english....sort of.

I want to see pictures of the kitchen.

Oh, today is the last day of the cambio. Elder Despain is going to Illapel and I'm staying with Elder Pincheira. He's Chilean. MY FIRST CHILEAN COMP! But other than that, i know nothing about him. Pray that this week goes well for us and the sector.

Some other random fact. Probabaly about 50% of the people that we talk to think that i'm not Gringo. Only because of my hair color. Serirously. I might be on intercambios with a blonde gringo that has more time than me and speaks WAY better than me they'll say that im the latin and that i speak well. Its kind of funny. Some people don't believe me when i try to tell them that not everyone in the US is Blonde or white.

So my prespective on the World has changed a lot since coming on the mission. I'm not sure why I had that realization this week, maybe with the earthquake in the Japan or something...but my perspective on the world has changed. For one thing, i never realized just how big an impact the US made on the world.

Well I hope all is well back at home. Say hi to people for me. I hope all goes well for Sister Orme. Enjoy the pictures. POR FIN.

YAY FOR LIFE

Elder Hyer