Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Protests and Ancestors.

Hola Familia-

One, thanks for the pictures Dad. I loved them. I do have some pretty cool sobrinos. And dogs. Well, I don't jewels yet. but im assuming I'll like her.

Mikhael is going on a mission!?!? Thats awesome!

Thanks for the update about who has and is getting married this summer Mom.

Congratulations Dave on graduating!

And Mom, you said something really interesting about how missionary work is the same as it was anciently. I saw a talk by Elder Holland a few months ago that he gave at the MTC. In it, he talked about the changes that have been made to the missionary program (Preach My Gospel and the changes that have been occuring since basically the time I got to Chile) and how he believes, now we are starting to return and to become more like the missionaries of old. As in, everything is by the spirit, nothing is memorized, we focus on the needs of the people and personally apply the gospel to their lives etc. And yes Mom, it is the same Gospel that Jesus Christ and his apostles taught anciently. The gospel of Repentence and Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins.

Speaking of your Grandparents and Grandma Wendel, this week I had an experience regarding my ancestors. We have these two investigators. One is named Sandra and had doubts regarding the plan of salvation. Without having to explain everything to you guys, basically I was able to relate the story of Christian Hyer to her situation. Dad, hopefully I am getting this right. Christian Hyer was baptized with his family. But he was the only one that stayed true to the Gospel and in the end left his family and traveled west to the Salt Lake Valley to be with the early Latter-day Saints. There he met his wife....I want to say her name was Heather? and her last name was Hogan maybe? Anyway they married and raised their children in the Gospel. One of their sons was named Andrew Hyer...who had lots of Children (through Andrew Hyer am I related to the other Elder Hyer in the mission). One of Andrew Hyers grandchildren was named Harold, he is my grandfather. The father of Mike Hyer and my aunt Janell. I am the son of Mike Hyer. The Great-Great-Great Grandson of Christian Hyer. Because of the ONE choice Christian made to follow the gospel of Jesus Christ, I and many others have had the blessing to learn and grow up in the Gospel. As I explained to Sandra, I will be forever grateful to Christian Hyer, as well as to my Grandmother Nelly Winslow-Wendel for the choices they made and for recognizing the truth in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The decisions we make in life are big. We don't realize the impact we could be making on the lives of many others that will follow after. Everyone needs an example. So, be the example.

Hopefully that all made sense.

So remember when I said we were going to have conference on tuesday? Well we didn't have conference on tuesday. They called us on monday night at like 10 25 to tell us that we would be having conference on wednesday due to some planned protests that would be happening on tuesday morning in Valpo and Viña. Remember that whole thing about Education I have mentioned?

Anyway, so we work on tuesday normally. Chamiza, o sea, the zone of Achupallas is up above the Centro of Viña. But at about 8:10, we are knocking doors and talking to people in the street when the zone leaders call me and tell me that I need to call my district and tell them that all the missionaries need to be in the pencion at 8:30 (an hour early) because of the protests that had been going on. Anyway, Elder Da Silva and I think its a little weird because there was like nothing going on where we were...but we imagined that maybe in Valparaíso and Viña Centro it was was a little different. Anyway, so we get back to the pencion, and at about 9 p.m. we start hearing all this noise. Cars all over are honking, people are opening their windows and banging on pots and pans, groups of students are running around in the streets. It was pretty interesting. And it kept at it until like 11. Apparently there were groups of students running around taking over colegios and liceos and stuff. Pretty crazy. Then on wednesday morning at conference I saw Elder Pincheira, one of my old companions, who now is in Valpo. He told that in their pencion they have to make sure all the windows get shut really well because if they don't, the wind blows tear-gas into the apartment. Lets just say, all this protest stuff did make the week a little interesting.

Well, I did recieve the two packages Mom and Dave. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Well, this is already long enough. I hope everything is good back home. I love you all!

Yesterday I had to speak in Church. Yo sé que Jesucristo vive y que él es nuestro salvador and redentor.

THIS VIDEO IS AWESOME.

We Lived with God

please post on the blog

I LOVE YOU
Have an AMAZING WEEK!