Life in the Vineyard of the Sea

Elder Hyer is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Vina del Mar, Chile

Monday, January 31, 2011

"Si, Somos buenos para pinchar"

Hola familia

So this week was pretty sweet i guess. Nothing much happened. However, today is last day of the cambio. And im getting transferred. Next week i'll be emailing you all from La Zona Villa Alemana Oeste and the sector Las Americas. I'm kinda sad to be leaving Nueva Aurora. But, when its time, its time. This cambio has been really good for me. Elder Vasquez might just be my favorite companion. En serio, we were talking the other night and joking about how cool it would be if he killed me at the end of my mission, because we got here together but he goes home a change after me because of the time in the MTC. Anyway thats the big news right now, is that im going. Blah i have pack. And im losing the amazing views of Viña and Valparaíso. Oh well. But really Elder Vasquez and I saw miracles this cambio. When we started we had one with fecha, and basically nothing more. The relations with the barrio were mas-o-menos. But now, we have three with fecha for Febrero, the relations with barrio have improved caleta AND in general there is more animo and faith in Nueva Aurora. En english Nueva Aurora means "New Dawn". This cambio really has been a New Dawn for me and for the barrio.

I told presidente that and he told me, "wow, you could relate that to any gospel topic and write some awesome talks" haha.

Something cool is the changes I have seen in one of the investigatores. Her name is Maria, shes like 70 years old and when we found her....she was just depressed. was not very happy. but now you look at her and theres light. theres animo. theres spirit. theres hope. Shes getting baptized on the 12 of Febrero. The gospel is awesome.

Ok funny story:

So in spanish there are two words: Planchar which means to iron. And pintar which means to paint. Theres also another word, Pinchar, which here in Chile means to like makeout.

Well, we were talking to this lady (the lady from new years eve actually) and we were offering servicio. Elder Vazquez said "Sí, podemos pintar" I was thinking about saying the say thing, but mid sentence changed to planchar (we can iron your clothes!) as to not repeat the my companion. Well, in the midst of this change of words what left my mouth was this:

"Si, somos buenos para pinchar"

In english: "We're good at making out" or like "we are good kissers"

And this happened just after we had explained why as missionaries we don't give kisses when greet the people. I love the mission.

Well sounds like Les Miserables was good. I was thinking about that last night actually. Fun memories the musicals at Flower Mound. I hope everything is good with Grandma and Janell. I just get really really vague reports about Dad's trip and Grandmas ankle. I love you all and hope all is well. Say hi to derek for me when he gets home. i can't remember if it is this week or the next. Enjoy the pictures.
Viña Oeste was such a fun zone. when I got here two cambios ago, the zone was a little on the dead side. hadn't seen a ton of success. BUT we all started working and strengthing our faith and animo and in December we had 12 baptisms, in January 11 and February the meta is 15. I won't be here, but this zone should lograr the meta. MIRACLES. If you can believe, everything is possible, "Si tu puedes creer todo es posible"

Chao Pescado

Elder Hyer